When it comes to buying a cage for your new dwarf hamster, you want it to be perfect right? They’re so tiny, fragile, and adorable, you want them to be comfy and feel looked after properly?
Well, unfortunately, a lot of hamster cages for sale are designed for slightly bigger hamsters, such as the Syrian hamster, and so buying the perfect new hamster home requires that bit more research.
Dwarf hamsters are much smaller animals and often like to live in pairs, so finding a cage suitable for this can be tricky. Not only this, but the cage needs to have enough room for them to move and roam about freely, exercise and have enough accessories and toys included to keep them mentally stimulated.
Sounds like a bit of a mammoth task right? Well, luckily, that’s why we’re here. We’ve hunted around the hamster cage market to bring you our favorites, along with a list of pros and cons for each one and a handy buyer’s guide at the end for if you’re still unsure on what to keep an eye out for.
- Ferplast Laura Small Hamster Cage
- Circus Ferplast Hamster Cage
- Midwest Critterville Arcade Hamster Home
- Savic Geneva Modern Hamster Cage
- Habitrail Cristal Hamster Cage
So keep reading to find your new perfect dwarf hamster cage!
- Interactive Hamster Cage ; Laura hamster cage features fun tubes to promote playful and healthy hamster exploration of their habitat ; Hamster cage measures 18.11L x 11.61W x 14.76H, wire mesh is 5.25L x .5W and plastic base is 3.25 deep – inches
- Great Starter Hamster Cage ; Laura hamster cage includes 1 food dish, 1 water bottle, 1 hamster hide-out, 1 exercise wheel and play tubes, everything you need to get started.
- Easy Maintenance Hamster Cage ; A deep 3.25″ plastic base contains bedding and can be removed to dump litter / etc. for routine cleaning, other plastic accessories and wire top can be cleaned with a mild, hamster-safe detergent
- Convenient Top and Front Door Access ; Simply lift the top door to gain access to your hamster and the accessories for cleaning or food / water refills
The first cage suitable for your dwarf hamster on our list is the interactive Ferplast Laura Hamster Cage. This cage measures 18.11L x 11.61W x 14.76H with a wire mesh and a plastic base that measures 3.25 inches deep, meaning it’s the perfect size for your dwarf hamster to frolic around all day and stay active.
It’s the perfect starter home for any new hamster owners and comes with everything you could need to keep your furry friend happy, from a food dish, a water bottle, a hamster hide-out, multiple play tubes, and even its own exercise wheel.
Weighing only 6.33 pounds, it’s completely portable and can be cleaned with ease with its locking side latch. Simply unlock and remove the top to dump litter and routine cleaning.
The accessories and wire that come along with it can be cleaned with a mild detergent so that your dwarf hamster is not only happy in its new home but also stays hygienic.
Its convenient two-door access- from the top and the front- allows you to gain access to your dwarf hamster as well as refill water or food without disturbing them too much.
Your hamster will have everything it needs in the Laura Hamster Cage and as it comes in a beautiful pink and yellow color, it’ll even look great on the outside, keeping both pet and owner smiling always.
- Accessories Included- Comes equipped with a food dish, a water bottle, a hamster hide-out, multiple play tubes, and an exercise wheel.
- Easy to Clean- Locking side latch and detachable tubes for routine cleaning.
- Portable- Lightweight design.
- Size- Big enough for your Dwarf hamster to move around freely.
- Holes in the tubes– If your hamster tends to wee in their tube, these might need covering up.
- Wide living space on three floors, large playing areas for hamsters
- Patented design, cheerful decorations printed on the base and on the roof
- Colorful stickers included to personalize the hamster cage as you like
- Plastic base and upper wire net structure, easy cleaning thanks to its removable roof and base
- Included accessories: hamster wheel and nest, drinking bottle, feeder, ladders and shelves
Next on our list is another cage from Ferplast, but it is one great for kids! A fun, interactive circus design, this cage offers a cheerful decoration for the home and even comes with colorful stickers to allow kids to personalize the cage as they’d like to!
Not only does it look good, however, but with such a wide living space, it provides ample room for your dwarf hamster to run around and have some fun of their own. Measuring 16.39 x 13.39 x 16.73, we’ve included these measurements in the title as this cage comes in a range of three.
It is however this size and design we recommend, not only because it was our favorite to look at, but also the plastic base and upper wire net structure offer the best ventilation, as well as easy routine cleaning.
Weighing only 4.63, this cage is lightweight and portable even for the smallest of pet owners, meaning you can take it between locations or cleaning spots easily. It also comes with its own hamster wheel and a nest, a feeding bowl, and water bottle as well as some fun ladders for climbing up the three levels of the cage, keeping your hamster healthy and happy.
If you’re looking for both a comfortable home and a playground for your hamster, look no further as you’ve come to the right place!
- Fun Design- Interactive, cheerful circus design- great for kids.
- Customizable- Colorful stickers are included.
- Easy to Clean- Small opening doors and removable plastic base and roof.
- Portable- Lightweight design.
- Wheel Design- Ridges on the wheel could irritate sensitive paws, this can be replaced if your hamster reacts.
- Fun Arcade Hamster Home features a cool multi-level play space to watch your hamster in action 18.11 length x 11.4 width x 21.5 height inches, 6.1 pounds
- Hamster Home includes free accessories to get you started. Exercise wheel, water bottle, food bowl, nesting nook and interior play tubes
- Arcade Hamster Home features a deep base to contain hamster bedding, a convenient top door for easy access to your pet and a removable upper cover for easy cleaning
- Hamster Home is modular in design and includes connector pieces to fit standard play tubes if you want to connect to another hamster habitat
With multiple levels and ample space to play on each one, this arcade hamster home by Critterville is perfect for those curious hamsters who are full of energy and ready to explore!
Measuring 18.11 in x 11.4 in x 21.5 in and weighing a mere 6.1 pounds, its the perfect size for your hamster to feel at home and enjoy all the accessories the cage comes with, including an exercise wheel, food bowl, water bottle, play tubes, and a nesting nook.
The cage even includes a port with rings that can connect and allow you to expand the cage with tubes or even an additional cage that would be sold separately.
Although the design of this fun hamster arcade may look complicated to clean, it comes with a clear removable cover, removable wire top, and plastic base to make this as easy as possible.
The base is also deep enough for thick bedding to make your hamster as comfortable as possible and the non-slip ramps are specifically designed and angled to have small ridges that provide traction yet do not irritate those tiny paws.
If you want an interactive environment for both you and your hamster, the Critterville Arcade Hamster Home is for you!
- Easy to assemble- No tools required.
- Customizable- Can add more tubes or another cage to expand.
- Interactive- Multi-level, interior tubes and non-slip ramps
- Easy to Clean- Clear removable cover, removable wire top, and plastic base.
- Large- Spacious enough for Dwarf hamsters to stay active
- Stair Design- The ridges on the stairs may be tricky to use for extremely small dwarf hamsters.
- MODERN DESIGN: Geneva is modern two story home for small Hamsters and gerbils. Its unique design will suit any home interior.
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED: The Geneva comes with quality Savic accessories including a water bottle, feeding bowl, exercise wheel and a ladder.
- SEE THROUGH TANK: The cage features a transparent lower tank that allows you to see your pets frolicking around in an environment designed to simulate natural conditionals. The tank slides in and out of the frame so it can easily be cleaned.
- EASY ACCESS: Along with the slide out tank the Geneva cage features a large door on top that allows convenient access into the top part of the cage. The ladder can be folded up to close off the top and bottom parts of the cage.
- SMALL FOOT PRINT: The Savic Geneva cage measures 23. 5in x 11. 5 x 17. 5 and is proudly made in Belgium
Next on our list is this Savic Geneva Modern Hamster Cage.
The grey modern two-story design of this cage will look great in any interior and the see-through tank allows you to watch your hamsters play and frolic all day in an environment that is specifically designed to stimulate natural behavior in your pet. This transparent tank also slides in and out of the frame with ease for simple routine cleaning.
Not only is it simple to clean, but with a large door on top, you can easily access the inside of the cage for feeding or reaching your hamster. The ladder can also be folded up, which closes off the top and bottom parts of the cage.
The cage comes equipped with top-quality accessories designed by Savic, from a water bowl and feeding bowl to an exercise wheel and ladder.
Measuring 23. 5in x 11. 5 x 17. 5, its small yet spacious design keeps the cage portable but still a suitable size for your dwarf hamster to run around and stay active. If you want something that’s a modern and unique design for your home but still want your hamster to be comfortable, this cage could be a perfect choice.
- Easy to assemble- Takes less than ten minutes to put together.
- Transparent Tank- Can watch your hamster play all day long.
- Modern and Contemporary Design- Unique grey and clear design which matches any interior.
- Noisy Wheel- The wheel can be noisy but it can be replaced with a silent one.
- Durable, safe, and comfortable hamster house
- Hamster cage comes with hamster hideout to satisfy a hamster’s natural need to explore and hide
- Easy to clean and designed to provide excellent air circulation
- Allows easy connection to other Habitrail items, such as the Habitrail Hamster Tunnels, using our patented lock connectors (sold separately)
- Hamster habitat measures 16 L x 10 W x 9.5 H inches (40.64 x 25.4 x 24.13 centimeters)
Our final recommendation would be the Habitrail Cristal Hamster Cage. This cage is compatible with all other Habitrail items. So although it only measures 16in x 10in x 9.5in, if you find it is too small for your furry friend, you can always add an extension with their detachable small animal tunnels, hideouts, or even an extra cage.
This cage however still comes with its own hamster hideout, big enough to allow your hamster to explore and relax.
Its safe and secure design with a front door lock to ensure your hamster doesn’t escape, ensures a comfortable home for your hamster, whilst also providing excellent ventilation and durability with its wire and plastic build.
The base is deep enough for bedding and the rounded corners make cleaning easy. The large plastic door also allows you to easily access your pet or change its food and water.
This cage also comes with a lookout deck and ladder, hamster wheel, a chew-proof water bottle, food bowl, and litter guard. The Habitrail Cristal cage, therefore, has everything you need to keep your little friend happy, healthy, and safe all through the day and night.
- Already Assembled- No hassle to put together, just add the alcove on the side.
- Chew-proof Water Bottle- Ensure your hamster doesn’t chew through its water bottle and keep them hydrated
- Safe and Secure- Secure door lock to prevent escaping.
- Customizable- Compatible with other Habitrail items.
- Smaller Design- It may be too small for bigger dwarf hamsters.
The size of your hamster cage is going to be the most important factor. You don’t want them to be cramped and uncomfortable in their new home, do you?
You want to find a cage that’s at around 24in x 12in x 12in for dwarf hamsters. Anything smaller than this we would recommend extending with additional hideouts, tunnels, levels, or even an extra cage. We would definitely recommend extending if you are housing more than one dwarf hamster.
Hamsters are territorial and will end up fighting over space, so giving them enough space to begin with, is critical. When choosing your hamster cage, you not only need to ensure it is big enough for them to roam around freely but also big enough for an adequate-sized hamster wheel.
Wild hamsters can run up to 5 miles in just one night so, with that much energy, they need a wheel to let it all out.
We all like fresh air don’t we? Well so do dwarf hamsters. Not only does this help them breathe, but is important for their overall health and wellbeing. The type of cage will determine what kind of ventilation it has.
Glass and plastic tanks for example have limited ventilation systems and may need adjusting yet they protect your pet from drafts better. Modular cages include tubes and enclosed compartments which do not allow enough fresh air circulation, whereas wire cages are completely open and offer the freshest air and best ventilation systems.
Because ventilation is so important, we would therefore recommend a wire cage for your dwarf hamster, unless they are too small for that type of cage and may escape through the wires.
Safety and Security
Before buying your cage, it might be an idea to research the company that made it. Have they tested the cage? What materials did they use to build it? Is there any feature that could be dangerous to such a small animal?
The durability can also be assessed by reading other people’s reviews to see how safe their pet was and how long the cage lasted. Not only do you want to trust the company, but you also want to inspect the cage design.
Since dwarf hamsters are so small, if you opt for a wire cage, measure the spaced bars against your hamster’s measurements so that they don’t fall through or escape. The spaces between the bars, especially for Robovorski dwarf hamsters shouldn’t be any larger than 0.25 inches apart from each other.
You also want a secure door with a lock to prevent any accidental door openings from your hamsters. And, if you find your cage has multiple levels, although this can create a fun and interactive experience for your pet, you should make sure you install secure ramps and even hammocks in case they fall from a high height and end up hurting themselves.
Not only do you want your cage to be secure, well ventilated, and big enough for your hamster, but you also want to make sure cleaning it isn’t going to be too difficult so that you as a pet owner do not have to spend hours taking parts apart to clean every week.
Your cage must be cleaned thoroughly each week so that your hamster stays hygienic and does not contract any illnesses or infections. Easy access doors, detachable bases, retractable roofs, and removable covers are just some features that cages advertise that make cleaning that bit easier, so keep an eye out for these and your life will be a whole lot simpler.
Also, pay attention to materials. Acrylic, for example, is resistant to odors and stains.
Design and Customization
Although the safety and comfort of your hamster come first when buying a hamster cage when you are happy they will be comfortable in your chosen cage, here comes the fun bit.
Not only do cages come in all sorts of different designs and colors to suit every interior, but some also come with customization tools such as stickers or detachable features. You can add decorations, toys, and extra accessories to your heart’s content, creating a fun and aesthetic play zone for both you and your pet.
Even, better than that though, why not have a go at making your own hamster cage?! We did just this for our hamster Oscar and if you are interested to know how we constructed it, check out our guide on how to make a hamster bin cage.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Average Size Of A Dwarf Hamster?
Dwarf hamsters grow up to 5 centimeters long and can be as heavy as 2 ounces. The maximum length and weight however depend on breeds and environments.
What Is The Life Expectancy Of A Dwarf Hamster?
In captivity, dwarf hamsters live for around 3 years, yet the longest recorded lifespan of a dwarf hamster was 4.5 years. It also depends on the breed. Campbell’s Dwarf Hamsters will live around 1.5 – 2 years, a Siberian Dwarf Hamster will live around the same time, yet a Chinese Dwarf Hamster will live around 2-3 years and Roborovski Dwarf Hamsters will live around 3-3.5 years.
What Kind Of Bedding Should I Use In My Dwarf Hamster Cage?
Dwarf hamster cages should be deep enough for bedding which hamsters can burrow into. The RSPCA recommends putting bedding down that’s around 3-6 inches in depth. This bedding should be made of pet-approved materials such as wood shavings. Try to avoid cedar or pine shavings and any other type of bedding that is deemed unsafe for animals.
For recommendations on the best hamster bedding, why not read our review.
How Much More Room Do I Need To Home An Extra Hamster?
It is recommended that you use one square foot per dwarf hamster when measuring for an extra animal.
As much as we love our hamsters they are likely to spend the majority of time in their cages. Therefore it is really important that we not only make sure it is comfortable for them but entertaining.