Have you just bought a new hamster? Are you excited to welcome them to your home and get them settled in? It’s an exciting time for everyone!
But what can be daunting is the cage. Have you bought a cage that’s too small? Are they too expensive or is the design not quite right for a Syrian hamster?
Studies have shown that bigger cages ensure more natural behavior from hamsters and they seem to show fewer signs of stress than those housed in smaller cages, so how big is big enough? Is there enough space for a wheel, after all – your hamster’s going to want to exercise right?
With so much to consider, finding the right cage can feel like a mammoth task by itself. Not only do you want it to be the perfect little home for your new best friend but you also want it to be safe and easy to clean. So where do you start?
Luckily, we’ve written this article to help you out. We’ve compiled a list of our favorite Syrian hamster cages and the pros and cons of each one, as well as a handy buyer’s guide so you know what to look out for, and a list of frequently asked questions in case there was still something you were unsure about. Here’s a sneak peek of our top 5.
- Savic Hamster Heaven Metro Cage
- Favola Hamster Cage
- Prevue Pet Products Universal Small Animal Home
- Rolife Syrian Hamster Cage
- Large Twin Tower 5-Levels Crossing Level Tube Habitat
So, let’s get started.
Savic Hamster Heaven Metro Cage
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED: the cage comes with lots of accessories including tunnels, exercise wheel, two houses, a penthouse, a water bottle and more.
- HUGE SIZE: The hamster heaven metro cage lets you build a heavenly home for you hamster. The cage measures 80cm x 50 cm x 50cm with 9.5mm bar spacing.
- LARGE BASE: The large lower area ensures your pet will have lost of frolicking and tunneling fun.
- EASY TO MOVE: the cage comes with two large handles so you can move the cage to any location. The large door gives you easy access to your hamster.
- The cage is proudly made in Belgium. Additional tubes are available to customize you hamster house.
First on our list is the Savic Metro Hamster Cage. This cage comes in two different styles along with several different accessories from tunnels to tubes and an exercise wheel, so your hamster will never be bored and will be getting plenty of exercise in!
It also has two raised platforms, two feeding bowls, a drinking bottle, and ventilation holes in its exterior tunnel. Its ultimate selling point however would have to be the penthouse on top, making your hamster feel like the most important person in the world and providing them with a fantastic vantage point for looking outside.
As for size, this cage is plenty big enough for a Syrian hamster. It measures 80cm x 50 cm x 50 cm with a 9.5 mm bar spacing and the larger surface area of the base ensures your hamster has enough room for all its accessories as well to run and frolic around all day long. It’s also fitted with a large enough door for your hamster to have easy access in and out.
The cage is also mobile and is fitted with two large handles, meaning you can easily move it between rooms and even different locations.
- Large- Enough room for your Syrian hamster to frolic around and feel comfortable.
- Portable- Fitted with two large handles for easy maneuvering.
- Reliable- Strong and secure wire cage top
- Customizable- Detachable accessories and removable penthouse
- Can be hard to set up- Directions are picture only.
Favola Hamster Cage
- Hamster Cage Includes 2 Spacious Floors; First floor is a deep 4.75 height inches to promote playful borrowing w/ a Hamster friendly plastic ramp (no pinched toes) for easy access to the plastic top level where their food dish, water & hide away preside
- Fully equipped & modular designed hamster cage; Favola includes a food dish, water bottle, hide away, 5.5 inch exercise wheel & a connecting port for play tubes to connect to other hamster cages
- Easy Maintenance Hamster Cage: Top panel features an access door & entire wire portion & middle plastic section of the cage disconnects from the transparent base for easy cleaning access
- Large Living Space: Hamster cage measures 23.6 length x 14.4 width x 11.8 height inches, deep base measures 23.6L x 14.4W x 4.75H (approx. 340 square inch base), wire top mesh is 1/4 inch wide, exercise wheel is 5.5 inch diameter
Our second best recommendation for your new Syrian hamster home would be this Favola hamster cage which includes two very specious floors, allowing your hamster to move around freely, relax and enjoy all the fun accessories.
The top level houses its food and drink, whereas the entire bottom floor is usually dedicated to playing and exercising. This ground floor has a big enough surface area for your average Syrian hamster and is extra deep, which allows you to pad it out with enough bedding to allow your hamster to burrow to its heart’s content.
The cage comes with multiple accessories to keep your hamster happy and healthy, including a large exercise wheel, a food dish, a water bottle, and play tubes.
This cage is also easy to maintain and includes a small door on the top for a quick clean-up or food refill. If you need to clean the entire cage or change the litter, pull up the side clips, and the base and top easily separates. What more could you ask for?
- Large- Two-story and thick base.
- Easy to maintain– Base and top separate easily.
- Visibility- You can keep an eye on your hamster at all times.
- Great for all ages- The floors and accessories are easy to navigate whether your hamster is a baby or elderly.
- Safe- Floor and ladders are small enough not to trap tiny paws.
- Access limited- Only one small door which can restrict access to the cage. However, you need to simply pop the top part of the cage off to reach your hamster or refill its food.
Prevue Pet Products Universal Small Animal Home
- Designed to home a wide variety of small animals
- Tight 3/8” wire spacing
- Extra deep 6 1/4” tubby base
- 2 large entry doors – one on top and one on the side
- 32 ½’’ L x 19’’ W x 17 ½’’ H with 3/8’’ wire spacing
Next on our list is this universal cage from Prevue Pet Products. Measuring at 32.5 x 19 x 17.5 inches, this animal home provides enough space for your Syrian hamster to roam around without restriction.
The deep base and wide platform allow enough room for burrowing and any extra accessories you may need to add to keep your hamster entertained all day long.
Your hamster will be able to access the cage through two large entry points which include its own front door or door on top of the roof, both measuring 12.75 inches long and 9.25 inches wide. With a knob closure and wire latch locking, your pet is guaranteed to stay safe and will be prevented from escaping.
Additionally the easy snap-on, snap-off mesh is held firmly in place with 6 clips. If this doesn’t convince you of the high safety standards that come with Prevue products, all Prevue cages are engineered in the USA and undergo independent lab testing to provide the highest levels of safety to customers.
- Large- Deep base and wide platform.
- Portable– Lightweight design for easy handling with two handles on top.
- Reliable- Replacement platforms and ramps available.
- Safe and secure- Sturdy build and undergoes lab testing for safety purposes.
- Easy to assemble- Easy to follow instructions.
- Can be tricky to clean- Takes longer to clean than some cages due to having to take the clips and top parts of the bars off first before unscrewing the platform.
Rolife Syrian Hamster Cage
- 🐹 This 2 levels small animal habitat measured 22″ L x 12″ W x 17″ H creates a roomy home for hamsters, gerbils and guinea pig to live and play.
- 🐹 Comes with 8 accessories : Hide House, 9″ Exercise Wheel, Bathroom, Water Bottle, Food Bowl, Stair and Tube and 100 cotton balls.
- 🐹 Snap off wire top makes cleaning a breeze and wide top access makes it easy to interact with your furry friends.
- 🐹 Strong upper wire frame offers excellent ventilation and durable plastic base provides a deep substrate bedding.
- 🐹 15 mins easy assembly with instructions and you can prepare a hammer if you have less strength. Please feel free to let us know if you need any help.
If you’re looking for an all-around perfect new home for your Syrian hamster, look no further than this Rolife Syrian Hamster Cage. With two levels for your hamster to run up and down and measuring 22 inches x 12 inches x 17 inches, this roomy cage is plenty big enough for ample exploration.
It also comes with a durable 9-inch exercise wheel, a fun tunnel, and a platform with stairs so you know your hamster will be getting enough exercise throughout the day.
Other accessories to mention would be the detachable sand bath which conveniently allows you to change the bathing sand without entering the cage itself, the front door for easy access so that feeding and cleaning remains an easy task, the water bottle, and the food bowl.
The durable plastic base provides a deep substrate bedding for burrowing and comfort and with easy-to-follow instructions, you can’t go wrong.
- Easy to clean– Front door and snap-off wire top with wide top access.
- Easy to assemble- Assembling the cage takes no longer than 15 minutes and comes with instructions. You can also use a hammer to help you.
- Aesthetic- Comes in a beautiful sky blue color.
- Safe- Large enough for a Syrian hamster and is built with a wireframe for excellent ventilation.
- Smaller sized Syrian hamster cage- Might not be suitable for larger hamsters.
Large Twin Tower 5-Levels Crossing Level Tube Habitat
- 【Large 5-Levels Hamster Mouse Gerbil Mansion】Roomy With Multi-Levels, Paw Safe Solid Florring, Allow Multiple Pets Playing Around; Mixed Color Clear Translucent Cross Level Tube Tunnel Included.
- 【Lage Cage size】: L21.25 x W14 x H23.5 inches; With Cross Level Mixed Color Clear Translucent Tube Tunnel
- 【 Includes Complete Set of Accessories】 4 x Solid Shelves; 4 x Ladders; 1x Water Drinking Bottle; 4 x Play Tube Tunnels; 1 x Food Bowl; 1 x Hide House; 1 x 5-Inch Exercise Running wheel.
- 【Tight Bar Space: 3/8-Inch 】Prevent Escape and Stuck
- 【3-Inch Deep Base】 For Extra Bedding Need and Play Ground Area.
The final product on our list is this large twin tower crossing level tube habitat cage. With five levels of solid plastic flooring, this roomy home for your Syrian hamster allows plenty of space to run, play and frolic.
It measures 54cm x 36 cm x 60cm, so is large enough to relieve stress and allow your hamster to feel comfortable in its environment. Additionally, a clear translucent cross-level tube tunnel is included for easy access between floors.
Described as a ‘Deluxe Hamster Hotel’, this cage includes an exercise wheel for them to keep active and stay happy, three mezzanine levels, and three ladders to accompany these. The cage comes with its own feeding dish and water bottle with an auto watering solution to keep your little furry friend hydrated all day.
The cage is easy to clean as the base section clips off, and there are three doors included for easy access in and out of the cage. The doors are big enough to make this as smooth as possible, measuring 14cm x 14cm.
- Large- Enough room for a Syrian hamster to move around freely.
- Easy to clean– Detachable base.
- Auto watering solution- Keep your hamster hydrated.
- Safe and secure- Binder clips included to secure the frame to the base and keep doors shut to stop hamsters from escaping.
- Can be hard to assemble- Directions can be hard to follow.
When it comes to buying a Syrian hamster cage, there are countless factors you need to take into consideration. They need to be happy, they need to be healthy and they need to be safe. So what are the most important things to look for?
When it comes to the size of your Syrian hamster cage, the larger the better. Syrian hamsters need ample space to play and frolic around, as well as having enough room to install an exercise wheel and other accessories.
The floor space of the cage is important, as well as the depth so that they have adequate bedding, both for comfort and for burrowing. Although a Syrian hamster cage of 80cm x 50cm in size with a deep base substrate is what you should be aiming for, a lot of places that sell Syrian hamster cages do not meet this requirement.
On top of this, the compartments, tubes, and built-in wheels of plastic models are also too small for many Syrian hamsters. Studies have shown that the behavior of a Syrian hamster is often determined by the size of their cage and that if they feel trapped in a cage that is too small for them, they may show signs of stress and other health issues.
This means that doing your research on the size of your new cage beforehand is essential for both the happiness and the health and wellbeing of your hamster. Natural behavior is seen in larger cages as not only do they feel comfortable in them, but Syrian hamsters will run up to 9km a night on an exercise wheel, so having enough space to install one is needed.
When choosing which wheel to install, aim for one that is at least 28cm in diameter, otherwise your hamster will struggle to run with a straight back, leading them to develop spinal problems in the future. Fore more information, advice and recommended products, see our reviews on best hamster wheels.
With so many different materials used to build a hamster cage, you must choose the right ones. Cages that offer a plastic base and metal bars are usually best as they offer easy access for cleaning purposes as well as being sturdy, strong, and reliable.
When it comes to your new little furry friend, you want to keep them safe, don’t you? That’s why we recommend you checking the safety standards and doing your research on how and what your new cage was built with. Has it undergone any testing? Is the material too weak?
Ensuring your hamster can breathe properly should be top of your priorities and that’s why when it comes to safety, you need to make sure the cage has suitable ventilation.
Wire cages offer some of the best ventilation systems but if you opt for an enclosed cage such as an aquarium, have a look at the ventilation system before buying so that you know what you’ll need to adjust to ensure adequate ventilation. You can always leave the top open for example, and create your own lid with some metal mesh.
Additionally, often compared to animal escape artists, Syrian hamsters are great climbers yet can also be extremely clumsy.
If your cage is relatively tall, ensure you have installed safety measures such as hammocks or shelves so that there is less risk of injury if they fall. You also want to double-check that the cage’s bar spacing measures no more than 12mm to minimize any risk of escaping.
Ease of Cleaning
You need to make sure that when you buy your new hamster cage, you’ll be able to clean it and keep it hygienic for your pet. A wire cage with a plastic tray provides the most accessible way to do so as by just lifting the wire off the bottom, you can clean out the bedding, wiping down the wire part as much as you need to.
If you opt for a cage with more compartments, tubes, and accessories, it’s going to be harder and take a lot more time to clean than a simpler design, so bear this in mind if you don’t have a lot of spare time on your hands.
Aquariums are the hardest type of cages to clean, as well as being heavy to move about the house if you wanted to take it outside or to a different spot in the house to clean. However, cleaning your hamster’s cage is not going to be fun whatever design you choose but it’s important you do so on a regular basis to keep your hamster hygienic, healthy and happy.
Choosing the style of your hamster cage can become quite a fun task! What color do you want? Will it be two-story? Will it have some funky detachable accessories?
But the one thing you need to keep in mind when choosing the style of the cage is that each different design will come with its own advantages and disadvantages and by weighing these up properly, you should end up with the perfect design for you.
Your main considerations will be whether you want a wire cage with a plastic base, a plastic modular cage, or an aquarium that comes with a secure mesh lid. All three cages have different ventilation systems, security settings, and ways to clean them, so which would be your priority?
Working this out before you buy can save you a lot of money and hassle further down the line so don’t take the decision of your style and design of your cage lightly and as with every investment, do your research first!
One thing you might not have even thought of yet is how a hamster’s ability to chew can affect the type of cage you buy. Wire cages can be a playground for chewing, to the point where some hamsters may become obsessed and so providing enough chew toys for them is imperative.
If you find they are still chewing the wires, it might be worth investing in a solid-sided cage instead. Additionally, when purchasing your cage, double-check there are no sharp edges or ridges of wire that a hamster could injure themselves on whilst chewing.
Finally, if you want a chew-proof cage, although they may be difficult to maneuver and clean, an aquarium might be your best option.
To fully understand why your hamster might chew the bars of their cage, click here.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Big Is An Average Syrian Hamster?
An average Syrian hamster generally tends to be about 5.5 inches in length.
How Big Should My Syrian Hamster Cage Be?
A Syrian hamster cage of 80cm x 50cm in size with a deep base substrate is usually the minimum measurement you should aim for when buying a hamster cage, yet a lot of pet shops and online stores do not meet this requirement, so ensure you double-check what is going to be comfortable for your own hamster.
Getting the right cage for your Syrian hamster is key to its health and wellbeing and we certainly believe that these are 5 of the best Syrian hamster cages currently available on the market. If, however, your hamster has specific needs and requirements, then why not consider building them a customised cage of their own. This is exactly what we did with our hamster Oscar, and you can see exactly how we went about constructing a hamster bin cage right here!